Finishing Line Press Publishes "Flare"!

Good news! Finishing Line Press is publishing my chapbook, Flare, and today it is Chapbook of the Day! It is my first published collection of poems and some of the most vulnerable poems I've put out into the world. Flare is about the body in all its mystery, wonder, and struggle. It's about my experiences of hearing loss, chronic pain, and making peace with a body that often seems intent on being my greatest enemy. The poems were born out of grief, grappling with my own ableist beliefs, and coming to a new understanding of what it really means to be capable. This book is a way for me to break silence about pre-existing conditions and invisible disability, something I imagine will be even more important to continue doing with our country's current political climate.


Image of mock book cover for Flare includes title and the words "Poetry by Camisha L. Jones." Image is a silhouette of a woman with wavy hair, behind her is abstract images similar to flames in red, orange, purple, black, white, and teal. Some of these colors appear in the outline of her hair. Image is by Robalu Gibsun.I hope you'll consider welcoming Flare into your home. The book is available online now for pre-orders along with some very kind words describing it from Jennifer Bartlett, Danez Smith, and Sarah Browning. I'm deeply grateful they were willing to review Flare and felt it was worthy of putting their names on it.

PRE-ORDER FLARE TODAY AT THE FINISHING LINE PRESS WEBSITE!     

Here are samples of what you'll find in the book (click on the titles to read the full poems):

This body       is lightning
     Strikes the same place      more than twice

      -- Ode to the Chronically Ill Body

silence          swallows          everything
enjoys the taste of my pride
                                                                            -- Méniére's Flare

                           Praise for the body that takes pain and names it survival.
                                                          -- Praise Song for the Body

Please share information about the book on social media, by email, in conversation, even if you're not able to purchase a copy. Share it especially with anyone with an invisible disability, chronic pain, or hearing loss. I have found that there's something about unapologetically naming the hurt and speaking about about what others may not see that gives back power. I'm hoping Flare offers comfort to others in that way.

Advanced sales determine how many total copies of the book get printed so this pre-sale period is very important. The advance sales period ends on May 26 and books will be shipped in late July.

Thank you in advance for considering adding Flare to your personal collection. It is available online at the Finishing Line Press website. Follow me on Facebook or Twitter to stay in the loop on my writing life.

Cover image by Robalu Gibsun.

Comments

I am swimming in the beauty of your work after reading Flare! beautiful beautiful...YES to the power of your words.
Thank you

Terry Schupbach-Gordon at
Catbird (on the Yadkin) Press

Popular posts from this blog

Spoken Word Poetry, Accessibility, and Hearing Loss: My 2017 Spoken Word Immersion Grant from The Loft Literary Center

Childhood's Double Meanings

Writing About Transformational Lives